View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #307
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: CG Galactica

I agree wholeheartedly with Matador.

Launch tubes are good for ensuring that the Vipers get out into space and into the battle in rapid succession.

Having open bays at both ends are good in case a fighter pilot blows his/her approach, or if the fighter needs to make an emergency wave off during a potential emergency on the flight deck.

I too always had a problem with the classic gator having closed fronts at the launch bays. This was something the new series ship got right. Open bays allows for better management in an emergency.

On a real-world aircraft carrier, a fighter can wave off, or even blow past after touchdown if there is a problem, or if they are about to blow their approach. Makes sense for space based capital ships as well...at least in terms of story telling. On real-world aircraft carriers, fighters and planes land a FULL POWER so that if they are advised to take off again, they can do so. Usually, this is called a touch'n'go, and is only invoked in emergencies, or in training flights on carriers.

(Awaiting the fanboyish....well, TOS Galactica pilots are "just that good that they don't need open bays on both ends". I'll call felgercarb on that in a heartbeat.)

Ahhh.... the advantages of being neither fan, nor purist.