View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #5
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Re: Lang has updated his Galactica Book

KJ,

Lang's rantings don't bother me. I'm amazed he has such a locked fixation. Rightly or wrongly, I've always connected Lang with Gollum, someone totally consumed and destroyed by anger and hatred and a total devotion to something that will never happen. Lang is truly the example that anything someone does will not be satisfactory.

If anything, I'm bothered that he's been used as the example of what the original series fans are like. He certainly has never done us any favors. I'm also bothered that for too many of us, myself included, there's a little bit of Lang's attitude lurking underneath. Lang isn't totally wrong in some of his basic concepts, ... Universal/Skiffy did hire stealth marketing folks for GINO and they did infiltrate the boards to create a false rally for GINO and batter the original series. To me, that's been proven beyond any doubts.

Unfortunately for Lang (and perhaps some others), the folks who engaged in this sort of conduct did so entirely for money. They had a product and they wanted to sell it. They didn't have a vendetta against the original series or its fans. They simply saw obstacles to the success of the series they were making and came up with the best solutions they could to make a difficult situation turn in their favor.

Keep in mind, from what we've found out, the stealth marketing folks originally were engaged to try to swing the fanbase leaders around to liking GINO so that the others would follow. In my view, its a good example of a fair marketing plan gone really, really bad. Typically, only the Federal government can screw up a good plan that bad but they did, especially when they adopted the current Democratic Party's mantra of first trying the "Power of Pursuasion" and if that doesn't work, using the "Pursuasion of Power". The folks trying to sell GINO did exactly the same thing, first engaging and trying to sway the fanbase and then trying to stomp it and those wanting to go back to the original (like DeSanto) when their first plan didn't work.

I don't see any malice involved beyond certain folks, of which I'll place Ron Moore, getting their feelings hurt and going through the process with a rather nasty taste in his mouth. You can link Terry Moore as an after effect of that situation, ... at least in my mind.

I mention all these diverse elements because what I see is a situation that degenerated and went bad (including on our side as we had our own parts to play), he sees a well-coordinated and vicious conspiracy in which the sinister forces of Universal, probably aligned with Sauruman, George W. Bush, and RoMan from Robot Monster, pulled strings and got everything they wanted. Rather than chaos and noise, he sees a solid and efficient plan.

His other books seemingly follow the same pattern, as aside from the Universal conspiracy, he notes political conspiracies whose links, I believe, are the same inability to comprehend the random chaos that ensues when you get a lot of people engaged on any single subject. Since he sees organized actions that from his view are hurtful to things he cares about, he seemingly feels he's the only one who is able and willing to stand up to them.

Of course the rest of us view him as a maniac attacking windmills but I can't harbor any ill-feelings towards Lang, especially since, as I've said, I harbor some of the same feelings myself, only to a much, much smaller and reasonable degree.

Personally, I'd like to see Lang find someone who was good to him ang good for him and get a larger purpose in his life. He's certainly got a lot of passion and it would be nice to see that passion directed towards something productive rather than taking what positives he has from Galactica and its fandom and trying to figure out how to weaponize them.

Its a sad situation for everyone, him most of all.

I don't blame a rabit dog for having rabies, ... although I do recognize that there is a certain point you have to shoot it.

All my best,

Russell