View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #37
Lara
Squadron Leader

Some great food for thought in this thread. Nice analysis of the map!

I like the idea of the twelve colonies spread over 4 systems at a meaningful distance apart.
It is better science to have fewer planets per star inhabited by humans: we have very specific needs.
It would allow for the loss and them rediscovery of interstellar space flight, and that isolation means a strong cultural difference between the colonies, or groups of colonies, that would be supported by the obvious novelty of the council of 12 and agreement between worlds. I believe it would also allow for scattered outposts that no one knew of: why would Capricans know where Tauran exploreers went?
also differences in technology levels, and the envy that may cause: perhaps Scorpia is backward, and Baltar resents the percieved superiority of other colonies?? The enemies of my enemies are my friends, and my new friends will show you all the folly of putting me down!?

I have always assumed the colonial charcter of each planet should somehow be referenced to the corresponding starsign: the Capricans are technologically advanced, active and forthright, whereas the Taurans would be more methodical and steady, valuing the aesthetic more highly.
It can be fun/frustrating to take other clues and try to tie this to ancient civilisations from earth: the Capricans are very Greek, and not just their names, perhaps the Taurans are Minoan (hence the Bull connexion), the Pisceans were atlantian, others could be tied up to the ancient people of South America, Asia, etc, of the bronze age, any of which were pyramid builders. We know that ancient Kobol architecture looked like ancient egypt with the use of the pyramid form for the tombs, that was then mirrored in Caprica City, and the hypostyle hall (Karnak Temple). One possibility is that it was the tomb of the founder of Caprica that Adama visited. Anyone clear on which tomb it was??

Cheers,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote