View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: The Last Battlestar Comments

Most kind, Kester. Thank you for the kind words.

The story is still far from finished, even though where the story is right now, some might mistake it for a climax, especially considering that the location in which this battle is taking place is where the climax of TNS miniseries took place.

I am glad that the reinterpretation of the new series characters seem to appeal to you. I wanted to make them a little more likable....especially one seemingly universally despised character.

I knew there would still be some risks here....including the Armistice Station...in retrospect, I wish I would've added a bit more to the scenes involving Lord Vekno, Adar, and Baltar....to give a bit more substance to the locale. As it plays out right now, I can see where it's a wee bit superflous, as it may have been in the miniseries. I am glad that the expanded interplay of Adama and Adar made up for it. I wanted to give characters that may have only had a few minutes of screen time in their respective shows just a bit more story time in my retelling.

Crafting out Adama has been a real balancing act, and a challenge. I wanted to strike a real blend of both Lorne Greene's warrior/priest, and Edward James Olmos' unapologetically pragmatic commander. In some ways, I was trying to think of how someone like...oh...say...Gene Hackman (circa Crimson Tide) might have played Adama.

I'm glad to have been able to make my own little contributions to this great mythos, like additions to the Colonial Time Units....and even coming up with a couple of creative Colonial expletives.

Thank you again, Kester, for the kind words, and I hope you'll find much more interesting stuff as you continue your read. I shall have to check out your works as well. I like to read as well as write.

Take care,
Steve Dunlap