Thread: BSG Mini
View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #12
SAR Pilot
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayworld

To those that support the mini series vision: do your research; read, read, read on this forum, on battlestargalacticaclub forums, on www.battlestargalactica.com, www.battlestarpegasus.com, etc., to find out EXACTLY what we as proponents of a continuation of the original series really support and want. And then, if you still think the mini-series is best, then that certainly is your opinion.

And I don't think those of you that support the mini series will be disappointed, as even if the mini-series to series isn't green lit, you'll probably get your next mini-series that ties everything together in late 2004 or probably 2005. In the mean time, hopefully we supporters of TOS will have our movie in 2005.

Jayworld
I am a fan of both TOS and the mini, and I must say that while I agree that a great number of mini fans aren't aware of the TOS continuation proponents' desires, I won't say I disagree that I won't be disappointed.
Here's why: in recent years there haven't been any successful space-based sci fi movies at the big screen, and most studios are frankly leaning well away from the genre because there is no monetary incentive for them. Space sci fi is some of the most costly to produce since you must create everything from scratch, including sets, since you can't just run out to your local space battleship and ask to fiim a movie onboard. That being said, in light of the lack of success in recent years, I really fear that a BSG continuation movie on the big screen will not attract a large enough audience to make revenues sufficient to continue the dream of follow-on movies or series. I am afraid that should a big screen BSG fail, all hopes of ANY future BSG projects, including those based upon the mini will be forever dropped as a losing proposition by the studios and we will be back to where we were as a fan-base only a few years ago. Searching our memories for moments past as there will be no future ones, since hope will have been taken away.
I hear other TOS fans talk about the DeSanto project and how it was a go until 9/11, then everything shut down. . . blah, blah, blah. (Please do not mistake what I am about to say for it is not an attack by any means) IT is precisely the environment spawned by 9/11 which makes the mormon-based feel good BSG of old, a show I loved as a kid and still enjoy as an adult, out-dated. Into this darker time stepped the new vision for Galactica, and it was appropriate to it. There are concepts and changes in the re-imaged BSG that I didn't care for, but overall I liked the stronger military feel aboard ship, I liked the more realistic characters (let's face it, look at BSG:TOS OBJECTIVELY and the characters are less human in nature), and I liked the presentation of the Cylon perspective of who they are and why they are back. Does all of this take away from my enjoyment of select episodes of TOS? No. . . I say select because there are just some episodes which are just too campy for my taste! Does it mean I don't want to see a continuation? No! I am afraid of the consequences of a big screen continuation flop, and the loss to us all.