View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #1
CaptainTux
Warrior

Default CF Production Company?

In today's world I am seeing many quality low budget fan films that have great production value. I am also seeing excellent writing. Recently we have seen the fruits of combined labors when people like Sandy put together a high quality, well written, audio drama with the help of others. I also know that we want a continuation film of which I believe (and I hope to be wrong) will never happen.

So, my thought is this. What about joining forces with all the BSG out there that miss the original and make a continuation....set in a next generation setting. Who knows the travels they have gone through. 50-80 years down the road, earth could still be elusive.

This solves some practical issues. Costumes and ships can be completely re invented to make budgeting a whole heck of a lot easier. It also allows the freedom to create two variants on the scripts. One can be the full on no holds barred version and the other one can be a version that is slightly less obvious to avoid copyright issues. When the script is finished...a quality script...we pitch it to the powers that be that own the movie rights to the name...the rights only get sold to them if there is a contractual obligation to have a film in production by x amount of time. If there is no bite, we take the thinly veiled one that is still true to the story and produce the darn thing.

Yes, I know there are a lot of pipe dreams here and a lot of other considerations, but I look at the budgets and creative funding ploys of the creators of the Pink Five series and movies like Clerks and other indie films and I have to wonder if such a thing is possible.

ST:TNG lasted longer than the original and still held true to the universe it was created in despite the lack of original actors. This is not a re invention, this is a continuation...set far in the future.

I dunno, just a pipe dream, perhaps, but it may not be any more or less realistic than a real continuation by Larson/Desanto.

Tux
CaptainTux is offline   Reply With Quote