View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #21
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: My colonial shuttle model update

I have worked out a landing bay configuration, which is mostly similar to that one, except for the Viper hanger is above the landingbay area rather than below it. My reasoning for doing so is that I wanted the battlestars most valuable assets(Viper fighters) a little further away from the outer skin of the hull. There is a LOT of room in the upper half of the "flight pods" so I didnt see the need to try to squeeze such a critical area into such a small area.
I would expect that the landing deck would have very heavy ribs underneath. Also the bottom of the outer hull slopes upwards and the elevator shaft would be nearly touch the outer skin (and I would expect this to be a double hull design anyhow). So I put mine above rather than below.
I have some really crude 3d illustrations of the layout that I found yesterday. perhaps I'll post them in a new thread.

The thing that affects the landing bay scale most is if the person building the exterior battlestar model goes with the short nose or long nose. Assuming 1 mile length, a short nose galactica will have a larger landing bay than a long nose design. I think a long nose galactica looks better, but will be a lot harder to fit the launch tubes.
Punisher454 is offline   Reply With Quote