View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #13
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
It's kind of funny, but on the matter of a battlestar's need for fuel, I always felt it was implausible that an advanced civilization wouldn't have tried to develop propulsion systems whereby normal fuel sources wouldn't be needed. Kind of like modifying the principle of having a self-generating set of engines run by nuclear power or some other reactor driven system. After all, we have atomic submarines and atomic powered aircraft carriers that can do that sort of thing, so why not more advanced battlestars?

I therefore theorized that the Galactica was a newer type battlestar that had such engines and thus didn't need fuel to power herself but that traditional fuel sources were needed for the other ships in the Fleet. The Pegasus though, would have been an older battlestar that didn't have such engines and needed conventional fuel and thus would be more inclined to look for fuel depots to raid etc. to stay in business so far from home as she did.

Cain incidentally does refer to Gomorrah (I spell it that way only because I like paralleling it to the Biblical city) as a "remote supply base" before he discovered that the Cylons had exterminated the Delphians and turned it into their outer capital.

Well, until we know the precise nature of "tylium", we just have to go with the flow. If we accept that it can blow up a whole planet, it must obviously pack alot of energy into a comparitively small space. Perhaps, once refined, it is usable in some way not dissimilar to uranium or plutonium, in controlled fission?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote