View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

A True Ripoff that we liked...

I just watched "MacKenna's Gold" on cable. And guess what? I just discovered that Universal's new "The Mummy" is an incredibly identical clone/remake of that old 1969 movie!

The similarities are so many and so striking I don't know if I can even mention them all. MacKenna's Gold is about a search in the desert for a hidden/invisible/possibly magical place with a huge vein of gold 5 yards wide. The Mummy is the search for the same, except the gold has been fashioned. One person knows where it is and leads a greedy party thru the desert. Two factions fight all along the way - both versions. The location magically appears at daybreak in both versions. A curse causes it to tumble down in both versions when they try to get the gold. One of the greediest members (in both versions) loads up a pack horse with tons of gold, only to be killed, thus leaving a gold-laden animal unknown to anyone. Two guys and one girl escape the curse in both versions, while everyone else dies. Finally, in a stunningly identical finale, our heroes mount their animal (horse or camel) and ride off into the desert toward home -- and as they do, the camera shows the back of the animal with the glimmer of gold peeking out of its saddlebags -- they're gonna be rich after all!

Now that's an example of a "ripoff", and even then you really don't mind cause The Mummy is a really great movie all on its own.

Just thought I'd mention it... if you wanna bit of deja vu, catch MacKenna's Gold on cable this month...

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote