View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2003, 07:10 AM   #3
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Belloby
I have seen Saga dozens and dozens of times since it's first airing and I have NEVER seen a red patch like that. I don't have any doubt that the red patch was sold by various Sci-Fi vendors but I can tell you for sure that was not used in Saga.
I, too, was concerned about the validity of the red patch, but I did download that image MANY years ago, long before the Second Coming trailer was made and all the different color patches were used:

Picture originating from the Battlestar Galactica Warrior Costume and Prop Collection

Quote:
You mentioned the Pyramid game at the beginning of Saga. I have not seen a complete version of that scene since it aired in 1978. The DVD is at home. I'll play it back and if that scene was included, I'll post any visual observations I can make of it.
It is, I believe, the first of the deleted scenes from the pilot. I have been looking at the scene more closely, and it appears that the patch does have a diamond-shaped patch on top of it, but not a variant of the medical patch. It can be most clearly seen when the Gemon wins the pot and reaches forward tp take the cubits. His buddies to his right and left seem to be wearing the same modified patch, but not as clearly shown. The patch above seems more like a French fleur-de-lis (sp?) I thought back to my days in Scouting and recalled the Webelos patch, a diamond-shaped patch with a fleur-de-lis! Once again I scour the web and bring up my trusty-dusty Photoshop and come up with this image:

NOW! I checked out other threads and message boards and I came across a short message saying that the production staff mentioned one time that Atlantia bridge crew wore the same patch as the Galactica bridge crew. What if that was right initially? As this patch certainly has the Galactica main patch but has this other thing over it, what if this is the official Atlantia patch, and not this one:

on Martin's jacket in "The Lost Warrior"?? Then the question becomes, what is this one above? Or were different patches used on ships other than Battlestars as well?

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'll see if we can solve another one of Galactica's great mysteries.
I look forward to hearing your take on this. I'm personally fascinated by symbols, insignia and the like. Have been since I was a youngster. Seeing these old shows with high-quality video playback is a Godsend!