Thread: Anime debate
View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #1
Mustex
On Vacation...

Default Anime debate

Quote:
Without actors you have nothing. Look at Nu Galactica. If you didn't have Callis and Hogan the show would be a joke. These two make it worth watching IMHO. Anime and cartoons are great when the stunts would be impossible for a live actor to do and CGI doesn't cut the mustard.
Thought I'd start with that quote. You would still have actors in anime. That's why so many fans insist on subtitles, because they believe the Japanese actors to be superior. This can have a huge effect on the way the character is portrayed (and often the animation is done to resemble the performance). For instance, watch both the American and Japanese versions of Inuyasha. For those of you who are unaware, Inuyasha is a half-dog demon, half human. In the American version the actor (who is actually pretty good) portrays him in a way that makes him sound like just an ordinary jerk. In the Japanese version the actor does his voice in a very scratchy manner that sounds like an animal.

Also, I mentioned over at Kingfish's board that the realism of TOS could be perfectly recaptured by anime. This was promptly twisted into "All TOS fans care about are special effect." By "realism" I was referring to the limitations placed upon the human body. This varies wildly from series to series, even within live action. The limitations on Luke Skywalker as a Jedi are obviously lower than Starbuck's, which are lower than a character on Star Trek.

Most Americans are just used to cartoons where all the characters have virtually no limitations on their bodies. In Japan however, this is quite different. On a show like Dragon Ball Z the limitations are almost non-existant, however before considering that the norm you should watch a little show called Blue Gender. Within this show the human body is actually more limited and fragile than it is in TOS. In one instance a van got flipped vertically. A woman fell to the back of the van, bumped her head, blood spewed from her mouth, and she died. It would be a simple matter to figure out the limitations on the characters of TOS, and perfectly simulate the feel of the flesh-and-blood people, only more artistically.

So, how is saying "anime can't do TOS" any different from saying "a black guy can't sing country music, because it was started by whites" (fun fact: Country music was actually invented by black slaves ). If you can perfectly simulate the feel of it, why not go for it.

Quote:
*doesn't think even Pixar has sufficient software or hardware to capture the sheer expressiveness of Callis' face.*
BTW, Pixar is not anime. While the ships may be done CGI, and rendered Zoids-style into cell-format, the characters should be hand-drawn.

Rule 1: You lose.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote