View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #122
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default 70s feel to it

To me, Lost has a 70s feel to it, for two reasons.
I think why Lost has really gotten to me is because, in some ways, it resembles the original Galactica. You've got a large attractive young sexy cast, a post-apocalyptic storyline, a wise older man, an imaginative far-reaching storyline and lots of really neat settings. If this thing had premiered in the 70s, prior to Galactica, it would be Lost, and not BG, that would be my all-time favorite TV series.
And secondly, I keep imagining this scenario:
It's 1975, and Aaron Spelling goes to ABC with an idea for a drama that he has. It will be filmed in Hawaii, have a large cast and beautiful scenery, and a somewhat moralistic storyline--that is, the characters "get what is coming to them." No, it's not the 1975 Spelling series Fantasy Island--it's Lost! The only real difference in characters is that the character of Sayid, rather than being an Iraqi terrorist, would be a former member of the Viet Cong, and of course there'd have to be a Communist, a Nazi, a Vietnam veteran (that could be Jack or Sawyer) and an ex-radical hippie, all stuck on an island together with about 40 other folks following a plane crash. ABC says no, because it sounds like nothing more than Gilligan's Island with a greater number of actors. So Spelling comes up with the Fantasy Island three-part weekly storyline instead.
I guess I've just watched WAAAAY too much TV, but this odd scenario keeps running through my head!

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote