View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Sorry to hear somebody invaded your site like that man. But if i were you i'd go to youtube.com and leave a message underneath the clips on youtube saying that was your stuff originally and point out the website of yours from which the info was stolen from! Or better yet complain to the website owners and ask they remove them.

You'll have to take measures protecting your site allowing for the downloads still but however your actual system shouldn't be invaded like this however.

Not defending whats happened to you from the thief's point of view Ernie, but this does go to show that many video files and alot of clips from practically anywhere online were stolen and put up on sites like Youtube, are blatantly taken in that manner and pasted up there regardless. Its a damn shame indeed. Hope you can shame whomever over there though, although to be honest i'm not too sure about you pointing out you're own website. Any future updates going up on the pages might also be pulled once again blatantly!

Best advice i can give you now is put up a powerful 'program' to prevent "hotlinking"! i.e. right clicking and pasting of a file to another person's webpage. Thus you can make regular downloads from your site, but whomever can't link future clips/movies and use them on another person's website page which steals the link from yours!

Just means you'll have to monitor visitors on your site and everybody will have to open a clip's page "via" left clicking and download the file when its completed (meaning no hotlinking to it?)

Anyways wish you the best in trying to protect your files in future from greedy no-name individuals who certainly have lack of courtesy and try to claim it as their own. I'd prefer much your Battlestarfanfilms site than youtube that loves files in flash mediaplayer format. Than say files in either the 3 basic programs like; Windowsmedia Player, Quicktime or Realplayer?

Take heart Ernie, you haven't really lost anything when you view your situation like that!

Laters

KJ