View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:53 AM   #46
Jayworld
Warrior

Default Re: A Thought for TOS Diehards...

Yes, some of the fan fiction is quite good. One of the best I've read (appears elsewhere here on the forum) was the synthesis of two of my favorite Sci-Fi shows, Battlestar Galactica and Planet of the Apes.

From time-to-time (and perhaps a waste of time at that), I play "what if" games with Battlestar Galactica, such as:

1. What if Richard Hatch's continuation vision was green lighted? Where would we be now?
2. What if the DeSanto/Singer continuation telefilm backdoor pilot was greenlighted into a series on Fox. How would that have played out? How many seasons would it have lasted? Would our view, being Original Series aficionados, been more or less enthusiastic?
3. This one keeps me coming back for more musings: what if Battlestar had NOT been a series but instead a set of three multi-hour movies as originally conceived (Saga of a Star World, Gun on Ice Planet Zero, Pegasus Returns). Would Battlestar have continued as made-for-TV movies in a popular vein well beyond 1979 (compare the Perry Mason TV movies that did quite well for many years)? Perhaps Battlestar would have run 6, 7, 8 years by being a series of television movies, perhaps 2 a year?