View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #3
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I find this story to be somewhat more problematic, which is why it too remains undone in my general adaptations series. It's not just the natural problems that arise from the fact that here we have the second episode shot, but ultimately taking place in airdate order much later on, but also it's the technical aspects of it that can breeze by rather quickly when watching it, but which stick out more when one sits down to try and analyze it.

It would be easy to explain why Cassiopeia doesn't go along on the mission as the med-tech (the real life reason being Laurette hadn't been retained yet in the series for that role when it was shot). Just add a scene where it's pointed out that she has no training for arctic conditions which necessitates someone of advanced background as Leda is (and perhaps one could even envision Starbuck doing some additional fiddling with the computer to keep her from going if she happened to be assigned!).

Explaining why the Galactica is locked into going in that particular direction, and why the baseships coming up from behind just don't move in and destroy the Galactica in ship to ship engagement even after the Pulsar is destroyed remain the big stumbling blocks from my standpoint. Not to mention how does one plausibly and logically construct the manner in which Boxey and Muffit are able to sneak in and stow away aboard the snow ram inside the shuttle in the first place? Can we logically envision a child and his daggit getting past a guarded launch bay area to make their way in?

The simplest answer would be to just jettison Boxey's stowing away altogether as an annoying intrusion but in my case I don't have that luxury since I've already written too many of the episodes after GOIPZ that refer back to his stowing away so I'm always open to some logical suggestions on that one!
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote