View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Default Warrior's Costume gunbelt construction

I was asked in the Wilco models thread, to do a thread on assembling the Warrior's Gunbelt. Not your traditional model, so if it's int he wrong place, please move it.

This is the Laser and gunbelt I got from BSG.org about 9 years ago.

What it consists of is a Blue Parade belt (similar to the older Army equipment belts) with brass colored fittings, the 3 Recharge cylinders (in this case resin casts of the markers used in the show) and the brown plastic holster (this one lined with brown felt)
BSG.org went with the theory that the original gunbelts were blue. I always thought of the belts as black. It's been shown that the originals might have started out as white, and were dyed black, resulting in a dark grey color.

So, what I did was I went about making a new gunbelt with a black belt as a base.

I ordered a new belt from here: http://www.paradestore.com

If you like the blue belt, you can get that, if you like the idea of a black belt, you can get that as well, or you can go completely accurate and get the white one and some black dye.
The listed price of the belt is $10.95

Now, on the gunbelt I ordered, the holster was riveted to the belt. IT used the eye holes to run the rivetys through. I'm personally not a fan of Rivets, I prefer Screw posts. I get mine from Tandy Leather
www.tandyleatherfactory.com

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...ture=Product_2

these are the ones I got, they are brass, so they match the rest of the hardware on the belt. I had to drill out some of the eye holes on the belt to allow the screw bases to fit through. but The holster is now removeable. (and on the black belt)

To attach the Recharge cylinders to the belt, The series used Velcro. and later in the season you can see zip ties on the cylinders to keep them from falling off. So, my purchased belt and when I redid it used screws to attached the cylinders. I used 2 on each cylinder. you can use a single one, and let it move a little. this might help when you sit. they do dig in a little. lol How I did this was, I used self tapping screws (ask at the hardware store, they can help you out). I drilled a starter hole (MUCH smaller then the screw diameter) then then started screwing through the belt, When I could see the tip of the screw, I positioned the starter hole on the screw and then just tightened up. the self tapping screw enlarged the hole and seated itself in the resin. the second screw worked just the same.

now, Like in the original Star Trek, the Languatron and Communicator also attached to the belt with velcro. there should be a square opposite of your holster on you hip.

The biggest problem will be getting a holster. I don't know of any place that offers brown plastic for you to cut and then mold for the holster. SO, if you want to make your own, you will need to paint the plastic.

There is one person i know offering holsters on ebay. I know the seller Katarra8 does not have the best feedback from people who have ordred from her before. But I have noticed that items that are not custom, and are offered in her ebay store have been delivered reliably. (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Katarra8__W0QQ_armrsZ1)

she offeres a complete gunbelt for $99.99 (Concider what you can do it for yourself, way over priced!)
a molded holster (just the plastic, no felt lining) for $27.99 (if you can't heat plastic and mold it to your laser, this is not a bad price, but adding the fflet will be an issue)
And a unmolded, cut holster blank for $19.99 (this is what I got for my second gunbelt)
She also lets you choose right or left handed models for the molded holsters.

I'd completely discount the Completed holster, since even buying all the parts and doing a little assembly, you can do it for less then $70.

You will also have to supply the leg tie of you get either the molded holster or the blank. What they used in the series and what most replicas have is an 1/4 inch eleastic strap. It's attached with velcro. I changed this on both my gunbelts. I stuck with the 1/4 inch tie down, but I used Nylon, it doesn't stretch, so it holds the holster more securely. It's a little harder to sit, but this entire set up sucks for sitting, watch the actors in the show, they always slouch it seems. I ordered it online, and a simple google search with bring up either the eleastic or nylon webbing. And I also used a plastic buckle, found on the same site as the nylon.

If you have any questions, post here, and I'll answer them. Hope this helps.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote