Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:49 AM   #10
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What about this??

Quote:
Originally posted by beeker
As Aaron doesn't mind the discussion I'll continue it.

I was objecting to your objection. Eick has every much right to define evil as you do. Furthermore Eick was not so much expressing his attitude toward good and evil as he was suggesting other ways to view the scene. Eick pointed out (though he did not actually say it was the case) that Six could have been performing a "mercy killing". Even in our society there is not unimity of thought regarding mercy killings (assisted suicide, and removal of life support as two examples).

Where you despise Hollywood for degrading morality in this country, I despise the religious right (politically speaking) for doing the same. I think that they are far more insidious that the Hollywood types. As a moral absolutist myself I truly despise those who espouse moral absolutes but in practice do not follow those absolutes. That is people who say they believe in absolute good and evil, but when they commit an evil act they will convince themselves that it was really good.
Hi,

Regarding evil being done in the name of God, it happens every day. I know that. It sucks.

Anyhow, I'm not perfect, no one else is either. It just seems to me that life is too precious to devalue it so much, and that's what bothers me. We desensitize evil acts, they aren't considered as evil anymore. It's a slow process of erosion.

I don't disagree with you on many of your points. But it's a sad day that the debate over a child-killing being evil or not even has to be debated.

Ken
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote