View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #52
WarriorChemist
Shuttle Pilot

Thumbs up This is fun!

I feel a little bit better now about being able to actually contribute to something! This is our first time to make a mold and since the supplies were so expensive, I was worried about wasting even a drop! It's great to get that "first time" over with so that we now know what to expect. I estimated how much we'd need by calculating the volume of the box itself. The actual piece being molded is just a wing, so I ignored its displacement of volume for the sake of being conservative. My estimates told me that we'd have barely enough mixture to do the vertical stabilizer mold. After Michael poured it in there was a little bit left. Then I remembered that he had made a little box of greeblies to mold, so I ran and got it and he filled it up. Even if the greeblie box hadn't been ready, Michael would have had time to make one because there's a 30 minute working time for the molding material.

Next we'll do the actual casting of the parts and I'm a little nervous about it working out. The work time after mixing the liquids together is very short. Again, I don't want to waste any because the stuff is so expensive (even after getting it at 40% off.) I do expect the casting to be easier than the acutal making of the mold.

Michael will post pictures of the casted vertical stabilizer, hopefully later tonight!