Thread: ship of lights
View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:19 AM   #20
Lara
Squadron Leader

Default Re: ship of lights

I got the distinct impression the BoLs got involved because Iblis went too far. There are rules of engagement so to speak (a common theme in good vs evil battle for mens souls mythos) and when there is transgression, the supreme being sends his offsiders in to put it right.

Apollo wasn't suppose to die, it was Sheba who was on the threshold of willingly giving her self over to Iblis. Starbuck's offer to give himself in Apollo's place means his spiritual growth is not irredeemable .

All these things are fairly standard religious themes in the Judaeo Christian canon (and in the others, including the Koran, as Islam is also derived from the same roots as the other people of the book: there is s nice explanation of this on Mt Nebo)

People better read than I could comment on the Mormon themes. Ascended beings figure highly in their beliefs, too.

I liked the introduction of this theme to TOS. It backed up the mystic nature hinted at in many of Adama's actions, without being too obvious (for the storylines of the time)

cheers,
Lara