View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #23
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
The issue may have nothing to do with the run way space but with launcher and storage capacity. In addition no matter how many vipers the Galactica started with, assuming it had a full complement at the start of Saga of A Star World who knows how many actually have survived the various battles and returned to the Galactica. The same can be said for the Pegasus. Her entire fleet was destroyed at the Battle of Molachy so I highly doubt they have anywhere near a full complement either.
Good observation. But I think we can assume that they are building new Vipers, even though I don't think that has ever been specifically stated. And you're right, hangar deck space is more critical than runway space. But I still think that the landing bays are large enough to service 400 or more Vipers. The writers just never stopped to work it out carefully.

By the way, the same consideration holds true for number of crew (and passengers). If the Galactica is roughly five times the length of a Nimitz class carrier, five time the average width (I think it's more, but let's use five), and five times the height, then it ought to be able to accommodate 125 times the human complement. A Nimitz carrier has about 5000 souls on board. So the Galactica ought to be able to comfortably accommodate 625,000 people. Even if you trim that a lot, you can still fit the entire population of survivors (50,000 according to the mini) on board the Galactica alone, with lots of leftover space for making echos.

I think somebody just thought that 50,000 was a lot of people, and didn't really do the math.