View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #79
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: New BG Classic ongoing comic

No need to shout.

Your second point is something I had honestly always considered...that perhaps "Frack" was Larson's way of getting around the S&P's and censors of the time. A lot of original series fans would not agree with that supposition however. Many seem to think that it was more like "Oh, darn" rather than the meaning it was given in the recent series.

And only Poppa Larson knows for sure what his intent was.

But yes, Larson had to actually tone down a few things in the original series so that it could air in the late '70's. The relationship between Starbuck and Cassiopea was meant to be a lot steamier...or at least, their little fling in the launch tube in SASW was. The enemy had to be robotic, because the networks didn't want a high, organic body count on a week to week basis. And of course, they had to have a kid and a cutesy robot companion to appeal to children (of which original Galactica's audience was heavily comprised).

No, the original series characters did not have first names, and should not have in an ongoing comic series. But cross wiring is not unexpected.

Personally, I always had a problem with singular names. What if you're in a room that had three Apollo's in it, and someone calls out "Apollo!"? You're gonna get three heads that turn. It'd be just like trying to get a cute girl's attention in a crowd. "Lisa!......Lisa!" Three or four chicks might turn in the direction of the caller, and a couple of them might not be the attractive one the caller whose attention the caller is trying to get. Granted, in the original series, someone could've said "Apollo, Son of Adama!" and that might yield the more desired result, unless there were two sons of Adama in the room with the name "Apollo".

Dawg and I came up with a viable solution, which I used in my "Galactica: The Last Battlestar" story...my own retelling of the fall of the colonies and humanity's exodus to the stars.

The formal name for each character is fairly long, and is translated from ancient Kobol. The name basically cites the person, their mother and father, of the planet (enter planet here), of the House of Kobol. (And all Colonials are "of the House of Kobol". The informal version is just their singular name.

But, with any naming convention, you can still run into the problem of multiples in a room. At least this gives a bit more effort toward differentiation.