View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #31
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

On behalf of all the Yahren Spinners (as we are called) who have contributed to the fanfic list, we thank you for posting the link Martok!

It's because of fanfic writing that I was able to become a passionate Galactica fan again back in late 1992 when Sci-Fi Channel began airing the reruns. It'd been about six or seven years since I caught an episode, and suddenly this burning frustration to continue the story unleashed itself. This being the days before I owned my own computer, the first effort, "The Last Battle" was produced handwritten. It's not a story I'm particularly proud of today but it helped get me started and once I discovered the Internet and how others have thought as I do, that inspired more writing and doing numerous continuation stories set in different universes (there's been a Galactica 1980 universe set of stories that tries to fix that wretched series; a crossover with the first Planet Of The Apes movie where the Fleet finds the Earth of the first movie; the episode adaptations; and now this second season project).

Martok's story, which grabbed my attention over the weekend, is another nice reminder of how well Galactica lends itself to this kind of storytelling, and how even if the perfect continuation movie is made, there will always be room for us to explore different avenues of what happened next. And I think it's fascinating how Galactica has been able to generate so much effort from so many talented people.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote