View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #26
repcisg
Bad Email Address

While I’m not happy with what was done to the story in the new series, I can step back and take a more objective view of what was done and why. Much of the why relates to ego, money and control. In the entertainment industry these factors always play heavily in the decision making process. The days of the artistic production coming from with the corporate world is at an end.

Richard’s dilemma has stalked him from day one of his attempts to revive Battlestar. The entertainment industry views him as a has-been actor trying to restart a dead career, nothing more. He has zero credibility with the decision makers. His taking the part offered in the new series shows he can be a team player and do it “their” way. If he comes across as a strong presence on the small screen then his credibility will go up. His voice stronger, louder. Eventually he may even be heard.

But in the end, for Richard I think he needs to get Magellan of the ground and into the hands of the fans. He needs to do something truly innovative.

May I offer a suggestion, do Magellan as a three hour movie and go directly to DVD. Then produce follow on DVD;s with additional stories, perhaps 2 hours each. Continue this until the story is told in its totality.

The disks could be sold by subscription, the way the book of the month club does it. This way Richard could demonstrate to his investors a solid interest in his story.

I know one thing for sure if Magellan were on DVD today I would buy it. If it were a series sold by subscription I would subscribe!
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote