View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #43
JSC1
Warrior

Default Re: Back and thinking about project

Took down a few tidbits about Stonehenge as there isn't exactly a mythology around it. There are a few theories though, and I picked up a few tidbits there.

One is that it was built by Merlin and was transported from Mount Killaraus, a mountain in Ireland that was said to be the source of the stones.

Another was that it was called 'The Giant's Round'. It was believed Giants from Africa had brought the stones to Killaraus to pour baths and heal the sick.

Another is that it is a Roman temple to the god Caelus. The personification of the sky in Roman mythology and Latin poetry. Equated with the Greek god of the heavens. (Hmmm, sounds like a good name for an Apollo type warrior. Or someone to fit that mold). Another point I would like to point out is that Caelus is also associated with Aquarius on the Zodiac (So this character may come off as an Aquarian instead of a Caprican).

Other names I got.

Roman: Greek:
Tellus Gaia
Saturn Cronus
Ops Rhea

Also there was a reference to Oceanus. This was believed to be the world ocean in classical antiquity. His wife is Tethys.

Also pointed out was the Mithraic Mysteries. A religion popular among the Roman military. Maybe something someone can look at later.

It was also said to be a temple for Druids, who held cultural repository of knowledge in oral tradition. They combine the duties of priest, judge, scholar and teacher. They were also believed to carry out human sacrifices. Another thing to look at later.

The theories of secular calendar and Burial Site were thrown around as well. People were buiried at Stonehenge in the past apparently. So maybe it was a multi use site. Burial site, healing and pilgrimage site, Secular Calendar, and it could also have been a Celtic creation.

Probably a lot more could be covered about Stonehenge, but I still have a list to work through. Next up are the Hittites.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote