View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #157
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
I'm just glad he didn't cut off his leg. I did not want to see Jack torture Boone to death by trying to save him.

A small nitpick: Urchin spines are not hollow and you don't want to stick yourself with one, you will get an infection from the tissue on them. One urchin researcher I used to work with got so sensitive to them that he would get rashes on his knees through the holes in his wetsuit while diving from just touching them. Tropical ones are even worse in that respect than the temperate ones I deal with.

LOL I was wondering about that I couldn't remember if they were hollow or not funny how this show manages require "experts" from so many areas of life to help sort it out LOL

just because I'm about to get gruesome here I've put it in spoilers

Spoiler

I could not tell what the device was that Jack was going to use on Boone as I had looked away for a bit but I got the impression it was some sort of guillotine kind of thing, yet I didn't see him put a tourniquet on his leg first before attempting an amputation kind of an important step also unless he was utterly certain the device was powerful enough to slice through flesh and bone it would have been better if he had a blade and sewing material to cut through the flesh first all around the bone and then sew up the main arteries etc. or just taken the leg off at the knee joint then its just a matter of cutting through the joint and you have a nice ending to the leg and no worries about bone splinters etc. but you need some skin flap when your doing this in order to finish off the stump and if he just severed the leg straight he would not have had that or I suppose he could have cauterised it that's a possibility. Also Jack could have performed a fasciotomy which would not have necessarily required the amputation it would have relieved the pressure and the life threatening quality to the compartment syndrome but because Locke took off he had no way of knowing how long it had been and the usefulness of a fasciotomy is time dependent.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote