View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #27
Antelope

From what I read of proposed Colonial history it would not be an issue to run into such a place as Proteus when they did. From what I read the colonials have been at war with the cylons for nearly 1,000 yahrn prior to "Saga of A Star World". As we can tell from this episode and things said in the Pegasus episode it appears that over time the cylons have been slowly wearing down and defeating the colonials prior to the start of TOS. Over time it appears the area controlled or allied with the colonials has dramatically shrunk. It would appear to me that all the human settlements reached by the Galactica prior to their arrival in the Terra system are remnants of the old colonial sphere prior to their long term reversals at the hands of the cylons.

Such a history also makes "Saga of A Star World" a more plausible episode. If as it appears the cylons have been winning the war over time it is quite understandable that many in the colonies would be greatful to accept the cylon terms for peace in the belief that it was only a matter of time before they ultimately lost the war. At least in the minds of the colonials at the time of the false armistice they would feel like they were negotiating from a position of relative strength compared to what position they expected to face in coming yahrens.

It would also explain some reason why the colonials lost touch with Earth, Terra, and/or any other human civilizations. As a result of war the colonials have become isolated into an ever shrinking sphere of contact for at least 1,000 yahrn. This episode at least says that some humans with contact with colonial populations still knew where Earth was at least as late as 400-500 yahrn ago.