View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #11
Lara
Squadron Leader

UIT was this morning episode on TV. The three biggest anomolies were
1. the light speed comment
2. leaving the fleet with only squadrons of Vipers to look after it
3. the planetary energy shield

Tigh says the G hasn't been to light speed for a while. This seems to confirm the whole fleet has been crawling at sub light speed since the start and therefore can't have got far. Totally at odds with comments about getting out of the galaxy and from far accross the universe etc etc (altho the time/ distance screw ups in dialogue are already well known)

Its not clear why are the cylons are suddenly no threat. Gave up after Baltar was captured/handed over by Iblis? Iblis called them off? Imperious leader has better things to do (Adama can't know this)
How can Adama know they haven't plotted the forward course and are now waiting ahead (having used light speed)
Can Vipers be left that long on their fuel reserves to actively patrol/ defend the fleet? Aren't they just short range attack craft. There seemed little clear reason why the G had to go

The whole energy shield scenes smacked of cobbled together with a cheap extra effect, backed up with stock fx footage of in space explosions minus the miniatures. 11 out of 10 for cost effectiveness, but a poor result. I would have liked to see some EM pusle that knocks them off course on the rise of the arc that made for a shooting gallery for the Vipers (assuming not all of them got left with the fleet) explainable by the less advanced nature of the weaponry

More background on the whole EA history would be good. The cultural references in it when first aired were pretty obvious then, but not now, and need both toning down (just a little) as part of explaination.

I don't have good fixes in mind for these things (making this post of limited use to this thread, I know), but I believe the EIT ep is a useful parable .

Cheers,
Lara