View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #150
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

For the record, I have never been on the side of advocating that one's subjective reactions to any end product was something someone should be attacked for. All of us old enough to remember the name Languatron have a permanent reminder of what *real* obsessed "fandom" at its worst, leads to. If I still choose to believe subjectively that GINO was a horrible end product that also on an objective level caused permanent damage to the reputation and value of what TOS represented that is a POV that does not carry with it the casting of aspersions on people who liked the other show. If viewing enjoyment is derived from it by anyone, that is their business. But neither however, is holding a POV about what the existence of that show meant to the reputation of TOS, a sign of over-obsessive fandom.

I will maintain to my dying day that if TOS fandom had been rewarded with a continuation/closure movie that ended the storyline of TOS in a way we could have been happy with and THEN, five years later a guy named Ron Moore does what he did, hardly any of us would have cared. We might have still called it a bad idea and disliked it, *but* it would not have carried with it the deeper underlying issues of decades of faith not being rewarded and hopes for something that had helped make Galactica fandom a close-knit group for so long, dashed forever. Trek fans who love the original series and hate everything else that followed can't relate to that in the same way because original Trek went as far as it could possibly go with a movie series with the original cast. The emergence of new properties didn't deny them a thing. With our fanbase, we have received little to none in the way of true rewards for our patience. We had a brief shining moment in comic books in the mid-90s that sadly went off the rails, but that would be it. Hatch's novels failed to gain traction with the fanbase because they simply are hopelessly off in terms of remembering basic things that most fanfic writers are capable of grasping. The less said about Dynamite, the better.

Ultimately, if the failure to see our faith rewarded in official projects motivates me to say, "I can do better than that!" I view it as channeling negative energy into something positive. And if respect is merited for fans who like GINO and can look past the circumstances of how it came to be and what it meant (what a lot of us regard a bad flavor), then at the same time we can read fanfic and look past whatever subliminal context motivates a fanfic writer's motives and just judge the story on its own merits. That's all that counts from my standpoint.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote