View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #21
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchcruiser7
in Saga the cylon says that over 200 warriors are on Carilon why then do people think there is only 75 Vipers on a battlestar? You could fit 100 vipers on alpha bay alone. With the Pegasus airwing on board there are 400 Vipers in the fleet. In Hand of God Tigh says they have 150 Vipers. Where are the rest??
:confused:
Others have pointed out that there were some technical details that were just sort of "thrown out there" that may not have been carefully thought through, and which probably weren't intended to be pushed on.

I think I recall that after the Cylon ambush was over, the Galactica recovered a total of only 67 Vipers. But we can assume that they have been able to build new ones. So how many Vipers can the Galactica hold at maximum? I keep hearing the number 150. 75 in each bay. But hold on a minute. Let's do just a rough and dirty calculation.

Assume that the Galactica is about a mile long (for a really detailed discussion of this, see the thread regarding the size of the Galactica). That makes the landing bays about 2000 feet long. That about twice the length of a modern navy aircraft carier. And there are two landing bays.

A Viper is about the size of a large fighter jet. A carrier holds between 80 and 100 jets. Therefore two landing bays, each twice the length of a carrier, should be able to hold between 320 and 400 Vipers. And that's without considering any increase in width or depth. So a stated capacity of 150 Vipers is just a wee bit on the small side.