View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #63
Fedaykin

Hi all

I must admit I have been keeping an eye on the BSG forums since the anouncement of the new series but not adding anything as here in Britain the new series isn't out till the week after next.

Now that I can see it in the UK soon and after sitting this evening and watching the preview on SKY I decided to dip a toe.

What amazed me was how the fan community has gone through the same schism that hit the Star Trek fandom in the 80's. Petition's, threats of boycotts and worse! I personally saw the idea of the new series as a good idea and have been excited about it.

Like the fandom of the TOS of Startrek there has been much demonising of the people producing the new series. Now I have had the chance to see the preview of the new series of BSG I found them to be honest people having a stab at bringing back a Sci-Fi show and not demons.

These days it's very hard for any Sci-Fi show to get off the ground let alone survive so they should be commended. Now that the mini series has been produced with a successful release and it look's like being picked up for further episode's the die hard complainers will find it harder to post.

I suspect if Battlestar Galactica (I have decided not to bother with the old series/new series business, to me it's Battlestar Galactica and the best way to heal wounds amongst the Fandom is to drop the labels) goes onto a long run fans of the old series will warm to it. I suspect that if the series goes onto a long run they will do what Paramount did with Startrek and have guest appearence's by the old stars in new rolls. It certainly helped heal things with the Startrek fans especially the episode with Spock and would certainly go along way to do the same thing with Battlestar Galactica fans. I find many a fan who use to be die hard old Startrek fans now feel happy with the expanded next generation community.

As another poster said so many fandoms fade away and disappear, this certainly could of happened to Battlestar Galactica (and is happening with the fandom of my Beloved Babylon 5 - SIGH). The new show should be seen as an amazing chance for new blood to be injected into the community. All the young new fans who may of never seen the original series can only be seen as good news especially as they will probably want to know how it all started and learn about the original series.

So when the new fans and members of the Battlestar Galactica family start turning up at conventions wearing uniforms icons they have made based on the new show welcome them, make them feel at home and congratulate them on taking an interest and commitment to Battlestar Galactica!