Thread: In Harm's Way
View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #25
Antelope

Default Eddington -- Prior to Wife's Death

Eddington is on the cruiser with then Captain Torrey prior to the death of his wife and prior to the attack at Pearl Harbor just like Colonel Tigh on the Galactica. Commander Eddington is not shaven, dressed properly, or ready for duty. Captain Torrey has a talk with him where he politely but firmly puts Eddington into his place. We are told Eddington was already busted from Naval Aviation prior to his assignment with an old friend, Captain Torrey. The situation with Colonel Tigh is pretty much the same. If anything "In Harm's Way" goes into far greater detail in the explanation. Both Tigh and Eddington have the put down/destroyed picture scene with the wife's photo on board the ship. This was prior to Eddington's knowledge of her death on December 7th.

Moore says he was inspired by "In Harm's Way". Moore himself says Adama and Tigh are based on Torrey and Eddington. This is not my theory or speculation. I just think this is far more than inspiration (bordering on plagarism since no credit is givin at the end of the mini). If you don't see it that way we can agree to disagree.

Moore did change aspects of "In Harm's Way" to fit the Galactica mythos. Obviously this is more a pilot than a stand alone movie. He did change things to facilitate a future series and I speculate may have intentional tried to put the relationships at the end of the mini so they reflected the situation between characters at the end of season 1 of TOS.

When I am done putting up my "In Harm's Way" mini comparisons I will try to elaborate on the mythos merger. I had a nice conversation with Dawg on the subject on the mini good forum.

Thanks for reading my thoughts on this even if we disagree!