View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2002, 07:00 AM   #2
havoc315
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Re: I re-watched the original BSG this weekend...

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior

Based on the reviews I've seen of the script and the information I've received on the script, this is MUCH worse by way of being like 90210.

In fact, IIRC, way back in 1999, it was Bonnie Hammer that wanted a BSG 90210 style remake.

Looks like that's happening now.

WAY too much sex in it, just in the opening. And I don't mean a kiss here or there or someone hiding behind a locker door.

I'm talking actual sex scenes.

This is getting into the garbage TV I mentioned in another thread.
I don't recall 90210 having any actual sex scenes, the problem with 90210 was that it was a show focusing on the tedious non-problems and dating lives of teenagers. And that's what I'm hoping BSG does not become. Nothing wrong with sex, I just dont want to see the show become about who is dating who.

That said, I haven't seen the script, but I doubt there will be much in the way of explicit sex scenes, this isn't HBO. I doubt the scenes will get any more explicit than the original BSG (the steam burn).

Quote:

Starbuck in the original was a male, and that character is the one fans would relate to more than an all new female version.

And before you say new fans could relate to the female Starbuck... well... the new fans haven't been made yet
Yes, we are in agreement.... that's my point. There are those on this board who have said, or at the very least implied, that making Starbuck a female character completely destroys the original BSG. It simply doesn't. Yes, it won't be the same Starbuck that original fans remember and relate to, but it won't automatically change anything that was crucial to the original story. (hmmm..... a love triangle between a female Starbuck, Athena and Cassiopia could be *even* better, lol).

[quote]The relationship with Apollo (and Boomer) goes through the whole OS, not just the movie.

Yes... in the movie Adama was the most important to me as well. But the movie wasn't the entire series [/q]

Ahh.... But an entire series hasn't been greenlit, just a 4-hour movie. Yes, I know the hope and plan is that it will turn back in to a weekly series, but I honestly don't see that happening, even if the mini-series is super successful. I think a new weekly BSG would be doomed for the same reason as the original, too expensive to produce on a weekly basis, especially for a niche cable network with limited audience. I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong... but my only realistic hope is to get a really good 4 hours out of this, with possible follow-up movies.

Quote:
As to whether or not the new production will look like this or not: No. It won't. It won't look anything like the original.

Michael Faries review of the script will bear that out.
Now that I'm looking forward to.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote