View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #51
CrysWimmer

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Imagination
Crys, I sure enjoy trading comments with you. Man, I need a bigger TV, I miss half the stuff (the folder picture - oh, it was folded? I could not see any expression on faces, either.) - yeah, I did get the sarcasm, but I also thought there was a bit more than that.
The feeling is mutual - I love chatting about this stuff and sharing my views - and of course seeing the views of others.

There are two shots of her with the photo - in the first, she unfolds it. Then they skip around a bit, and come back to her praying. It's at the end of the mini, with cigar in her hand, that you realize she's going to leave it unfolded. Zak is smiling, Kara kinda has her head ducked down, but she's smiling too. Lee is over to the side, about an arm's length to their left, and his arms are crossed in front of him. He has his weight kinda on one side, and he's in one of those smirky-sorta-smiles. I could write an essay on that picture alone.

Quote:
And I agree about the emotional resonance of that hug, to me that was THE highlight of the mini. You can be sure I didn't miss that sniffle either, or the melting of Apollo's reserve when he returned the hug and squeezed back tears. Man. Sigh. Re : you comment that per the script, Lee thought he was in trouble (insubordination) please elaborate. Why? I totally don't see this, but I'venever seen the script, so I'm blank here.[/B]
The hug WAS amazing. Very nice acting. Wonderful moment. As for being in trouble, keep in mind the last remarks he'd made to him. "I said, I heard you." and the like - he wasn't exactly polite, and had been directly defying his father on the orders of a "school teacher". He couldn't have thought dad would be happy. Also there's Tigh, who's sarcasm is just this side of distructive. "Gonna be so damn happy you're alive..." the tone of his voice suggests almost the opposite, although he's totally true. I just don't get Tigh - maybe in time I'll puzzle him out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Imagination Re: my quoting you above regarding the apparent lack of reaction - I was in the Canadian backcountry on 0911 with no access to the media (new arrivals on the copter brought the news - this was at Assiniboine) and I'm afraid some of us reacted shockingly (to some, but a human trait) with some very black humor as a coping mechanism. Some folks were quiet as could be, some of us were cracking the worst jokes ever, but we were all in some way numb and you could tell, regardless of the outward expression. With the characters in the mini, I never got a sense of COPING with the tragedy by focusing on the here and now, it all seemed so normal with no inner turmoil - no catching oneself in a moment of remembrance or survivor's guilt. [/B]
I saw a few moments - the absolute shock as they try to get that museum squadron ready - "How many are in Caprica City?" "7 million." So you see some there. I absolutely loved Dualla, too - every time she brings a note, letter, or message to Adama she's in tears. Quiet ones - she's still doing her job, but you can see her coming apart. More very fine acting, and very realistic. They are all concentrating on their work, rather than letting it all sink in. Then there was Cally crying with Prosna in her arms, and Tyrol's reaction to that. There was the stiff, careful "right" that Kara responded to Tyrol's statements with. And the catch that was *almost* in her voice when she asked about Sharon. Note that Tyrol dismisses Cally when she asks if he's okay - if he talks about it, he'll lose it. That same emotion was present in the "40 seconds" scene - a man at the end of his rope, holding on for dear life because he has kids to take care of. That's the final point - most of the folks on the Galactica were Rookies - kids. You don't see a lot of reaction from the young ones - they don't know what it means yet. I think reality just hasn't struck. Especially with the bridge crew - all they saw were a few explosions and some dust. The flight crews OTOH are dealing with bodies, shot-up planes, and many of their pilots NOT coming home.

I think the reaction will be there - it just hasn't set in yet. The only one I saw that was callous was Tigh. Don't like the character, and that's saying something because I *love* the Irish character on most shows <g>. He's a little one-dimentional in his emotional range, but that's just me. The apology at the end didn't make a damn bit of sense, except maybe he was grateful on Adama's behalf. I guess he decided to "make nice" because she was back to stay, and held in higher esteem by the Adamas than he was. Still don't get the guy.

I catch something new each time I watch. That's what I love about it. Then I settle in for some armchair pschology, and I have my recreation set for a month <g>. I just have to figure things out <g>.

-Crys-