View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #59
Michael Hinman
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
[B]Say, Michael, I have an off-topic question about SyFyPortal:

Do you do minimal research before quoting news items from other sites?
It depends on the item. I try to read as much of the genre news as I can. We normally reject things that have been rehashed, but if I haven't heard it before, I usually let it continue.

We do corroborate the source of material, so if a story originated in a magazine, we do our best to make sure it was really there.

Quote:
I ask because you're leading today with some quotes by William Shatner that date back to August. You picked them up (with attribution) from TrekNation this morning; they evidently appear in a current magazine.
It's quite possible that these quotes have been around for a while, and that TrekToday may have used them once already. They have a habit of posting Trek stories no matter what their significance is, and how many times it has been repeated. I know that Robert Beltran was going from con to con a few years ago, complaining about "Voyager." He said the same thing each time, but TT reported it as if it were new each time.

I know my site didn't report on this at all (or if we did, my memory really IS slipping, lol!), but you're right. TrekToday has a habit of doing that. I don't know if it's because they have multiple writers or what-not and little communication among them. But I can definitely see where that may have happened here.

In any event, thanks for pointing that out.