View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #52
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Dennis,

You've made very good points about the fans on all sides. In fact, I agree with everything you said. I don't consider the bolded names to be fans personally. When your intent of creating trouble overrides being a fan you're jumped out of the boat in my definition. My narrow assignment of the term includes a sort of very loose fellowship with others who like the same subject and none of the names you listed fall into that category for me.

I think my biggest difference in perception for your earlier statements probably lies in the fact that I never before saw any studio show such disregard for the fans. I can't recall Paramount ever making a documentary that explained how wrong or stupid the Trek fans were. I certainly never heard any statements about how stupid or unwanted the fans were from any Paramount official. They might exist. I've just never heard them. I've heard a number of such statements from the execs for BSG. This is the only franchise I know of where fans were berated for actually liking the original show. If that's occurred before, I've never seen it. When the studios have this sort of attitude, its no wonder that the media folks center on the worst players in the game. It fits the theme they've already been presented.

Problem children exist in all fanbases. Excluding insights from "Triumph the Dog", I've not seen any media personality say that the fans are a problem that must be dealt with for a new, great show, based on an old show that royally bite the big one. That is a message I'm getting now.

Seriously, do you know of another case where this has occurred?

Two-Brain