TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally posted by malachi42
So they made it to piss people off???
No, they made it to make a profit. What pissed off so many people was that it could have been so easy to make it in such a way that everyone could have been happy. The choice was made to ignore a long-standing, vocal segment of the audience.

That hardly seems wise business - unless you've got such an ego that you're convinced you know best, and thousands of other people who have a quarter century into the subject don't know squat.

Granted, Hollywood doesn't work in the same exact way as a retailer does, thanks to the creative element still there (even though that creative element is now more of a corporate product).

The voices were out there, and they spoke clearly. Sci-Fi and Universal - Hammer & Eick and Moore - chose to ignore them.

Quote:
Originally posted by malachi42 A studio owned a property. They hired producers and writers to develope it. that's it. They dictated what they thought it should be, because they could, it was their property.
As to whether or not people will watch the series, there will only be one way to tell. Other than that it's all speculation.
Very true - no argument there. But it only goes to show what kind of management the franchise - and the fans - have had to endure for the past 25 years. BSG could have been as big as Star Trek ever was if it was handled the way Paramount handled their property; with respect.

In retrospect, I don't think we should have been surprised that the eventual "revival" of BSG came out this way.

Malachi, I'm a great admirer of your uncle's work; I even met him once, several years ago (although there's no way he'd remember). I beleive, though, that his approach to this particular franchise was badly flawed; he missed the boat big-time, and I fault the "suits" that continued to green-light the thing as much (or more) than him.

That is not to say I fault anyone who enjoyed the mini. I know that a good many people did enjoy the performances of several of the actors, and did not find the content objectionable. I'm glad, actually, I really am. But forgive me if I maintain that this production wasn't BSG, and would have been so much better if it hadn't tried to be.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote