View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:05 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Colonial Camping Unit...and an essay on it

Hi, folks,
I couldn't remember if I'd posted anything about THIS. This was a design I'd made several months ago for my Galactica: The Last Battlestar project.

=============================================

Colonial Camping Unit and Camping Situations
Sometimes, Colonial Warriors may be called upon to make extended reconnaissance on unexplored worlds, or near enemy territory, often without the support of a baseship. Some worlds can even prove to be very hostile. To aid them in this action, the Colonial Warriors can utilize camping units. These shelters are well equipped to accommodate up to four warriors for up to two sectons if necessary. That staying time can be extended on habitable worlds where the life-support equipment is not used, as long as disciplined rationing comes into play, or the warriors engage in hunting for food (which sometimes they do, just to have a break from the food packs stowed within the unit.)
The Colonial Camping Unit (or CCU, as it is informally referred to sometimes) is a technological marvel of survival, featuring a hardened exterior, capable of withstanding small arms fire (landram cannons will severely damage the CCU, and fighter weapons will destroy it) , and is sealed and pressurized for long term stays in hostile or toxic environments. Although it is waterproof, the CCU was not designed for aquatic excursions. It can even support the warriors in vacuum for a short time, when recovery operations warrant leaving the warriors in the unit while shuttles evac them from the landing zone to a waiting destroyer or battlestar. The exterior can even provide protection against radiological threats. Additionally, the external hull's skin can, if required, mimic the surrounding terrain coloring, to effectively camouflage the CCU into its surroundings, making it more difficult to spot visually from the air, or amidst trees in a dense jungle or forest.