View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #76
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Yet Another TOS Battlestar WIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maudib View Post
Update 5-15-10. The side plating on the front section is done! I added the side cubby holes ( don't know what else to call then) back in in preparation for all the silly little greebles and pipes to be added. Total poly count is 2,105,000 polys. Half of what I though it would be by this stage...

Modeling in hull plating is SO BORING and tedious. It takes a lot of hours of high precision work for not a lot of eye candy to show for it. But this is something I feel is very important to get right. I don't feel texture effects can reproduce the same results with radiosity rendering.

Now she looks complete from the front end finally. End in sight! I don't plan to doodle in countless details for now. That is bad practice in any art form. I will first complete the entire model, then go back and fill in necessary details only. By necessary, I mean detailing in areas where I anticipate close-up shots will occur. Can't wait to start on the neck area. There are a lot of fascinating details there that catch my eye.

I agree with all of your feedback on the patience part And I'm glad the website is back! Enjoy the eye candy
yeah the hull details tend to be boring and just adding the nurnies and other bits and pieces just as boring.... I have restarted the Millennium Falcon and now that I have the shape right .. I am casting a weary eye at the hull plating..

you work on the Big G is great .. keep going

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote