View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #26
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: My colonial shuttle model update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerickcot View Post
I'm using Doga L3 for modelling so I only know how to count in polygons. do you know how the vertice's count when converting one to the other?

I love this shuttle design btw. It looks a right beauty.
Thanks.
I used to always just watch the count in polygons, but more recently I have focused primarily on the vertex count. The reason for that is that apparently the Cryengine2 (Crysis) that I am building these models for use in has a limit of about 65,000 verticies per object. The polycount will vary somewhat from the vertex count based on your topology and whether you have a lot of quads or tri's.
The colonial pistol I'm working on at the moment has about 1300 polys and very nearly the same number of verticies (a couple hundred difference).

Think of it this way,
You make a cube with all quads. You have 6 polys and 8 verticies. now the same cube with all tri's will be 12 poly's and 8 verticies.
Generally you should always try to build in quads, not for polycount reasons but because of smoothing issues.
The game engine I am working with dosent really get bogged down by high polycounts, its texture memory that is the performance killer.