View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #45
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
I would agree with you on this ,, I would go to cgi for it .. there is a lot of talent here for that . its easier to do for a start. all you need is a PC. some decent RAM and Memory.. the Galactica model in cgi . there are a few .. most have been posted here at some stage in WIP form and some are completed ..

to use a real model your going to have to start spending money. even cheaply its still going to cost some cash and that´s not going to be ponied
up at this present time by any company or even fans based donations for it would be very tough.

I have see efforts over the last year alone.

Fan based effort is possibly the only way and it will have to be CGI ..

and when you come to that why redo all the effects to look exactly the same when most where reuses of the same stock. while I enjoy the show alot the reused effects are tiresome and near boring.

Thank you so much Taranis for you vouch of support in this debate!

Unlike Star Trek remastered, if fans could get organised to do this big time. i seriously hope those fans with replica BG models could lend their scale models for the remastered BG (fan produced) version shoot! CGI great, but even with the most up to date photorealistic meshes/skins on ships and whatnot models are still great for that touch of class and nostalgia as Eric's pointing out for us.

He's got a different opinion from many on this, but he cares enough to keep BG classic and untouched somewhat. Reckon that would happen with the original episodes held on Blu-Ray discs next to a brand new remastered version of the Galactica episodes. Seeing as Blu-Ray holds alot of data encoded on them, both original and remastered episodes could easily be held on Blu-Ray discs with sharp HD picture quality for both. The original can even be colour-timed so it holds up much longer.

And if the remastered episodes would restore deleted footage back into their original context within their individual episodes, they'd benefit from a remastered and re-rendered HD process surely.

But yeah Taranis as discussed earlier on this thread, CGI along with possibly some model shots though. Surely many professionally fan replicas are studio perfect in details that they'd be shot more-or-less the same as the original Galactica was by Apogee. Only you could imploy vast 'camera pans' what they didn't use in the '78 series and use wider camera shots of "beauty passes" and yawn and pitches of the camera on a mounted frame and get more epic vistas shots of ships etc (*). CGI ones can be added in post-production and whatnot!

If i remember correctly even Richard Hatch even thought of re-doing TOS effects of Battlestar as a Star Wars inspired SE when he was pitching BG:The Second Coming to Universal when classic Battlestar Galactica wasn't on DVD yet. Well, at first universal did put a BG DVD, but it was barebones? Then we heard news of the Australian region 4 version being used as a template for a remastered DVD (720p resolution) release back in 2000/02 before news of the BG 2003 came about?

Yeah we've been down this road several times, but if it leads to us doing it ourselves i'd be for it.

Hard work ahead and alot of discussions way before then i reckon. If we had Universal's supporting us and we had their/Larson's permission and they backed us with studio help, we'd have the perfect eam right here i think to do BG remastered justice! We could also avoid all the pitfalls Star Trek remastered and The Star Wars special Editions had!

Here's a little inspiration for what we (fan edit) or an official release would have to go through (wanted to use this as a clip in my *list* originally?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fso13UR_jig

1:14 Relates to my camera angles arguement perfectly*

Think that guys comments about the original series storylines remaining the same reflects my opinions too Eric!

KJ