View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #655
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
I disagree with the dumping on Jane for Caprica. I thought the Caprica pilot was an excellent piece of work whose only limitation was that you have to put in a heavy upfront load to get the payoff. The first 30 minutes move at a crawl but it all comes together very well IMO. I thought Caprica was surprisingly good.
Different strokes. I find her writing style formula heavy, plot disorganized, and SLOW. She also spends too much time on caricature and not enough time on character and plot. Those are technical nitpicks aside from the fact that I just hated some of her last work product including the aforementioned Syfy pilot.

Quote:
I also don't think its fair to say Jane is too soap opera-ish. Did anyone see X-Men? That was pure soap for both X1 and X2 (I didn't see X3). I'd argue a bit of soap is exactly what Galactica should have. Certainly, the original series bordered on that from time to time.
I don't want Days of Our Pirate Lives. I want epic, not moral farce.

Quote:
She did some quirky writing for GINO but as a writer, I think she's done some great stuff, with her FireFly work being foremost among the lot.
I did not like Firefly.

http://runolfr.blogspot.com/2008/04/...ticism-of.html

Aside from the Babtech guy and the feminist critic wailing on each other, did you notice how thin the actual criticism was on a show episode that was all caricature?

Espenson had a hand in that garbage.
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote