Episode no. 118
Prod. code 218
Airdate 23 March 1992
Writer(s) Brannon Braga
Director Jonathan Frakes
Guest star(s) Kelsey Grammer
Patti Yasutake
Michelle Forbes

There is an expression: "Jump the Shark" made famous by the episode which killed Happy Days when Fonzi jumped the shark.

This piece of stinking brown goo was typical of everything that was/is wrong with ST:TNG.

Bad science
Bad writing
Bad story premise
Incompetent direction
Lousy camera work
Lousy special effects
Terrible acting-especially by Patrick Stewart
About the only thing that redeemed it was I got to see the Enterprise D destroyed again and again and again.

Note that this has been voted by trekkies as one of the ten best episodes of that series?

WHY?
I'm about to make you unhappy....

It was one of my favorite episodes too! I can't really say why, but for a long while, I liked the idea of taking the same story and examining it from different aspects, etc.

At the time that TNG was in first run episodes, I really enjoyed it. It didn't have the same feel as the original, but frankly, no show spun off of one show ever does.

When I look at TNG now, I can only watch it in small doses - not 4-5 episodes at a time, or even in a week. Out of all the Trek series that were made, it was one I enjoyed, but in some ways, I prefer Voyager (don't flame me) over all of the newer series.

If you look closely at ANY SciFi TV series and examine it closely, they all have the same problems - Wonky science, 2-dimensional characters, etc. Even some of the most modern series produced today don't play by the rules when it comes to science or any other concepts presented in them.

If you want real science, watch PBS, or the Science Channel. In my view, one of the most interesting things about traditional Science Fiction was exploring the unknown and presenting concepts that challenged your brain instead of spoon feeding it to you and presenting it to you as "real". When I read or watch a bit of Science Fiction, I like to enjoy the "escape" from reality, not compare it to my limited perception of reality and my personal knowledge within that framework.

To dare to dream.......I don't think people know how anymore. Sad, innit?

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote