View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #47
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicbob
I liked the short lived Realm Press BSG series and thought Rob Liefeld's BSG started out interesting but sputtered out quickly.
Agreed! Had Maximum Press not done that ridiculous time travel story i wonder how long they might've lasted, cos they were doing fine up untill that point. And had Realm Press comics of BG had a much bigger distribution it too would've lasted longer!

Quote:
In this day and age, I will usually only give a new comic title two issues to prove itself (unless I am a big fan of the writer). Comics are very expensive (the days of the 35cent or even dollar comic are long, long gone) and they are also a major production. It takes months for a comic to go from script to art to final printing, during which time the company, writer and editor have plenty of time to get their research right. Thus, the errors and character mistakes in the first two issues clearly indicate to me poor editing, lack of caring or understanding of the property, and over all shoddy craftsmanship. So no matter what the writer may say in forums about his intentions for the series, the proof is in the pages.
Agreed again. Especially so. If they care so much to do a comic book on a subject that has many fans then, it must be well researched and respected since the prices of comics has indeed skyrocketed! Is it any wonder the industry and artform of comics on the whole is struggling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
Oh, I almost forgot, Hatch forgetting that Rigel was female (and this from a guy who claimed to have had a crush on Sarah Rush when he was doing the show!) and depicting Omega as an old man didn't help either.
Well as you say, it might be the supposed ghostwriters of the Hatch novels who got that fact about Rigel very wrong. But Omega being 70 plus in the books doesn't make him that old in colonial years considering colonials live up to "200" plus yahrens! Even the passage that describes Omega's age lets on that he isn't that old in colonial years by comparsion to 'Earth' human standards.

Quote:
You would think an up and coming company like Dynamite (which has published some great stuff so far in OTHER titles) would take a cue from Dark Horse Comics on how to publish a sci-fi franchise tie-in series. DHC's Star Wars comics are some of the best comics out there period. Their three top sellers (KNIGHTS, DARK TIMES, LEGACY) don't even feature any of the key characters and one is a prequel (1000 years before) and the other is a sequel (100 years after)! Thus proving there is an audience for continuation type stories. And why, because the writers focus on good, strong stories and they clearly understand and love the universe that Lucas created.
Thats whats bugging me. No disrespect to Dynamite Entertainment but... Why did the copyrights to Battlestar Galactica both for the classic and new series end up at Dynamite when Dark Horse comics was surely a better venue for the copyrights to be done some justice. Everyone who knows anything about comics knows Dark Horse comics would be the most logical choice for them to wind up at!!!

Think Martok and EP should ask the Dynamite fellas over at their website to consider optioning the copyrights after their comic series doesn't work out to another group? We've been asking what happened to the comic rights for years until Dynamite announced they had them. When that gig ends, i want Universal to wise up and give them over to Dark Horse comics and quit fooling everybody around!

KJ