View Single Post
Old March 1st, 2003, 05:43 AM   #20
JeffVarnes
Bad Email Address

Default Thanks all

Thanks everybody for the kind welcome words. You seem like a nice bunch of folks here.

I don't imagine I will post much here... I just sort of found this place and posted out of frustration and anger with Universal's decision to remake this show. In retrospect I *should* have posted at the scifi.com bulletin board, but they don't seem to be paying much attention to folks over there either.

I decided to just write a letter to Universal and I am asking some sci-fi friends of mine to do the same. Seeing as we aren't BSG "fan-atics" (or at least we don't think we are !?!) maybe our voice will carry some weight with studio executives... sort of "oh hey this is what the common viewer thinks" not "oh look more fans crying over sour grapes"

I appreciate your love for the show and hope you all keep on going! Your websites, art, and stories are great - truly a labor of love! Many fan creations don't come near the caliber of what I have seen you create... and you did all of it from a TV show that had only 14 episodes!?! Amazing

As for Ron Moore's letter - it reads like a thinly veiled "last word" to all his detractors. He also goes on a bit about how old fashioned Battlestar was and how desperately it needs an update... I'm not sure what his motivations are to so heavily change and mangle a sci-fi classic. Maybe it's executive direction. Maybe it's his overcompensation to show a difference in his writing over others.... Hell maybe it's just a general downslide in the standards for good television and movies!

Worse yet his line about "adult themes with adult characters" makes me cringe. I still don't see why science fiction has to be littered with gratuitous sex and violence. Isn't romance and suggested sex enough? Isn't spaceships exploding and people being shot violent enough? Why do we have to push the envelope of good taste with excessive gore and sexual acts? Do rape and torture add anything to science fiction???? No of course not!

The bottom line is his letter is as ridiculous as his script and makes about as much sense. Set phasers on dumb, because It is NOT a great time to be a Battlestar Galactica fan. ;(

Anyway thanks for your time. I wish you guys all the best in the universe! I might swing by every so often to see what's new in the world of BSG fandom. In the mean time however I am on my own personal crusade to wake up Universal and the Sci-Fi Channel. They need to know what their consumers REALLY think, not what their executives want everybody to believe they think.

PS - About Micronauts: haven't seen 'em since I saw Battlestar as a kid! Didn't even know there was anything out there new for them. I owned quite a large collection of them when I was a child. Loved mixing and matching parts and building big "cities" for them to fight in. As a kid Micronauts, Bionic Man, and Shogun Warriors were my favorite toys... well that and I always wanted a giant Battlestar Galactica or a Millenium Falcon toy haha
JeffVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote