View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #137
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Not all GINOids - at least, not the two or three genuine fans I know - fit the description you propose, Steve - but regretably, many of the personalities we see (real or otherwise) do (see my Dawg's Bark column on the subject).

And I also take issue with the thought that BSG wasn't a life-altering event. For me, it certainly was, although it took many years for it to take root and blossom. It was this show, warts and all, that made me want to become a real writer, to develop my talent and write professionally. This was the key inspiration - now all I need is a visionary publisher...

Anyway - it's no different for Hatch. He was a part of it - and Apollo is the one character that he's truly remembered for, and remembered fondly. He was on a season of Streets of San Francisco - the show that rocketed Michael Douglas to stardom - but he won't be remembered for that role, or any other part he's played on TV or on film. He'll be remembered for Apollo - a one-season role - long after his San Francisco cop and this latest bad-guy role of his are little asterisks on his resume. Longer if he can reprise that part in a genuine, well-constructed continuation effort.

I am
Dawg
Points well taken, John.

Lemme say however that in all honesty, the first life altering stories for me (believe it or not) were the Harry Potter stories. That was the first time I really ever attempted fanfiction. (At some point in their sixth year...which is now canonically represented by "The Half-Blood Prince"). It was shot down because I based my character descriptions on what I saw in the movies.....not in the books, which I had not read until I moved to Huntington, WV. (By that time "Order of the Phoenix" was the current installment.)

For example, I described Hermione Granger as having full blonde hair (as per the movies) when in the books she is described as having "bushy brown hair".

Then again, I had an ex-Marine manager who said I was a blonde (when I clearly had brown hair.) I never imagined meself as a blonde.

The stories I've written for Galactica were to show that a continuation in which the RTF discovers Earth could actually work. "Dark Exodus" and "Reciprocity". I poured my heart and soul in those to appeal to my TOS brethren, but it was definitely not the result of any life-affecting experience per Galactica. It was a stroke of luck that my fanfics were so well received by the TOS fanbase...and even some in the TNS set.

Now, as some of you may be aware, I am working on MY OWN reimagining of "Saga of a Star World". I am writing this under the premise of "What if RDM's Galactica DID NOT exist, and yet, Universal (instead of going with a logical continuation) still chose to do a reimagining/reinvention of Battlestar Galactica?" I wanted to write this as something that would appeal to both TOS and TNS fans. My reimagining involves characters from both shows. John, if you recall, you seemed to like the way I introduced a certain (TNS) character...and I am continuing to keep her very likable throughout the story.

Anyhoo...enough shameless self-promotion.

Respectfully,
Martok2112