View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #20
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
My I interject?

I had always thought the whole "gun emplacement" thing was a bit wonky too. Even if the gun was placed at the planets' pole, it could still potentially be avoided if the planet had any sort of "wobble" like our own Earth.

How about this: The "emplacement" on the mountain is only the generator for the beam. Otherwise the planet is basically swimming in armoured focusing satellites that can redirect the beam at any angle. I mean THOUSANDS upon thousands. The Galactica can't blow them all up at once, and if they tried, the planetary forces could redirect the beam with the remainder and destroy the Galactica. So it is decided that a "stealth" team infiltrate and blow up the main body of the device... cutting it off at the source in one definitive action?

Does that make sense? I think it allows for the three-dimensional space tactics and still addresses the need to send in a demolition force. It maintains the basic story, but handles the whole scientific end of things.

How did they get all those satellites? The clones built them! Why else would Ravashol need such a large, completely subservient work force?

-Gordon

Long time looking back at this, but since I'm musing about the possibility of starting up the GOIPZ adaptation in the not too distant future, I think this is an interesting idea to take care of a couple of the potential "scientific" problems of the episode. I'll see how it pans out, but certainly de-emphasizing the thing as the "main body" would work insomuch as that it wouldn't be too dissimilar from what Apollo and Starbuck do in HOG inside the baseship in terms of what their ultimate objective is.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote