Thread: It's True!
View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentary

Sometimes I’ll read someone’s post and instantly recognize that it’s meant as a joke, but then someone else takes it as an insult. Other times, I just won’t have a clue what somebody means, but everyone else seems to get it. In real life I know the problem is that I’m just a poorly trained monkey but on line I think people’s own personalities color how they perceive someone else’s posts.
Those are good points. You can't see people's facial expression to see if they understand what you're saying or if you unintentionally provoked them. You can't instantly say something like, "Sorry, I didn't mean that."

You are right. I have often seen what appears as sarcasm taken as serious or vice versa. You also can't tell when people misconstrue your words whether it is intentional or they simply misunderstand.

Over time I have gotten hot a few times on something that in hindsight wasn't really meant the way I took it. I have also seen people get hot for something I said that I think they took the wrong way.

It's good when you know people after a while. Just like your friends you need to know what subjects are of interest and also what subjects are to avoid. One thing out here however is that a civil discussion with one person may be a hot button subject for someone lurking. At home or with a friend, a stranger doesn't usually walk up and say, "That's interesting but here's what I think." On the internet we call that stranger "a new member".