View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
I think you mean doesnt focus as much on character conflicts. His shows were all about character, and character interplay. Though alot of the character depth was hurt by the speed ABC demanded new episodes be delivered. There was simply no time to work in alot of depth if the script is due for imediate shooting.
There was vitually no character depth to any character on the original show. Don't get me wrong, I love those characters, they were fun and I would have hung out with them. But they weren't very real, or honestly very interesting. After the first episode, you knew everything you needed to know about everyone. No one ever did anything unexpected. Apollo always did the right thing, always. And he was always concerned about everyone's feelings and making his father proud of him. A great guy, but a shallow character. Starbuck, who was on the outside, a rogue and a playboy, also always did the right thing. You never doubted for a second that he woudn't make every choice that Apollo would make. When he's charged with murder and gets into his viper to flee, did you for even a second doubt that he wouldn't? Of course not, no character good or bad ever did anything to surprise the viewer. Those aren't deep characters. That is a show about archetypes

As for their interaction. Well they were in the same place most of the time, but that's it. One character rarely effected another character. The Apollo we had before his wife died, was pretty much the same as the one we had after. Starbuck juggled multiple women but we never saw him break anyone's heart, or ever suffer from his own guilt. Now, obviously you can find lines here and there to argue any of these points. But if its just a question of interpretation, that's not subtle writing, that the viewer filling in their own blanks.

My opinion. No need to lock me in the launch tube and pour on the steam
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote