View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #7
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"Again, you miss the point. You read my post, but complain about a show that you don't watch."

I registered my objection to a story and plot scenario someone else outlined, as well as their comments on what religious perspective was supposed to be offered by this potential storyline. And I expressed the view that if a show that at one time represented an oasis for those of a Judeo-Christian perspective (who see thier views trashed by more sci-fi properties and by Hollywood than I care to count) is suddenly going to be pushing a completely different religious philosophy then that is something that would offend me personally for the same reason that I am offended by the fact that a show property that once was more sympathetic to conservative perspectives now champions liberal ones in politics, sex, family etc. Those viewpoints of mine never earned me the label "bigot" because they are not bigoted, and the viewpoint I expressed is not "bigoted" either except in the minds of those who have a complaint with people who are of that background. Disagree with my POV if you like and I'll discuss it with you, but it isn't "bigoted" except in your vivid imagination.

"Now you make it personal"

Excuse me? You were the one who made this personal to begin with.

"and directed at me, insisting that because I do not agree with you, I must have " an anti-Judeo Christian mindset .""

If you're calling me a bigot for expressing concerns over how a show that once showed sympathy to a religious perspective I agree with and in this new version wants to go in a radically different direction (yet is set in a society that tries in all other ways to ape a society where the Judeo-Christian tradition is the dominant one), then I see no reason but to think you've got a serious problem with those of a Judeo-Christian perspective.

"History tells us that popes of the time thought Luther and Calvin had an anti-Judeo Christian mindset."

Martin Luther was the one who simply nailed his 95 theses to the door and called for a debate on something which was all I did when I made my post and registered my own opinion in which I thought was supposed to be an open forum. You OTOH, were the one who chose to react like the popes of the time with some name calling of your own aimed at me that was completely out of bounds.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote