View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #13
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
Or possibly reminiscent of the knights of olde. Where all the knights were of 'noble' birth.

You may be on to something here, although the idea of knights being of ‘noble’ blood is incorrect. Quite the opposite, most knights were not of noble birth, but were instead common. Only knights invested into knightly orders had to be of noble birth...and even that's questionable when you consider that events often caused there to be a difference between 'noble' as in noble blood, and 'noble' as in peerage (this caused a great deal of strife in late medieval England).

I suggest that much like becoming a knight, when a Colonial becomes a Warrior, they don’t just sign some papers, take the oath and become soldiers. Instead they are ‘invested’ into the brotherhood of Warriors. The investment ceremony and oath have stronger significance to some Colonials than to others. During the ceremony, a ‘transubstantiation’ event is thought to occur, by which all Warriors indeed become of one bloodline; i.e. they are partially transformed to literally become brothers. Some probably see this as literal (much like most Catholics believe in the transubstantiation of the Host during communion), others as symbolic. Those who view the investment as symbolic will probably take it with greater or lesser seriousness depending on how religious they are.

my tuppence

JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote